Monday 28 May 2012

The Fourth Rule of Selling

The Bookshop Guru


Don’t Make Assumptions, Just Forget Them

That’s right. Don’t make assumptions, just forget them. How do you know what your customers want? Are you psychic? It’s one of the hardest rules to follow. Why? Because we all grow up with what I call excess baggage that we can get from our parents, friends, and foes and it takes special skills to negate from our reasoning without bigotry or bias.

That’s why the debate is so important to listen to and take part in. Have you ever watched the film “The Great Debaters” it’s a brilliant film, and every school child around the world of the appropriate age should be given the chance to see this film? Debate is fundamental and it is the basis of democracy, and how laws are formed by a consensus of members provided they are given a free vote without the doctrine of a political party to adhere to. The same applies to law courts when a case is argued adversarial on both sides in front of a jury. The jury is there to understand what the truth is, and to find a consensus.

What’s more, the film is a true story. When I watched this film only a few weeks ago, it was for the first time, and I tried not to make any assumptions about it, either. And nor should you. The film has so much to offer and also how the truth is never hidden for long.

It’s so easy to cloud our judgment, get on our soapbox, and blast away without realizing our view could be totally out of balance with the evidence.

In a previous life when I made an assumption about whether a customer could afford what I was selling, I was nearly always wrong. I could tell you a very funny story, but I haven't got the time right now, maybe another day.


Tales of the Unexpected: The Salesman’s Tale

Ok, I will tell you now. I had been sent out to a remote farm, which I had trouble even finding. So I stopped the car and pulled over on the side of the road. I was about to phone the office and explain when my eye caught an old wooden sign lying by the roadside at the edge of the forest. Not in a million years would you have found the entrance it was so concealed, and I was directly opposite. It was just a farm track leading down into the forest.


As I snaked my way down the track all I could see was a dark forest all around me. It was a sunny day, but the forest had grown like a tunnel all you could see was the darkest of the forest above and around the car as I made my way down the bumpy track. Finally, I reached the farmhouse which was set in a clearing surrounded by forest for miles, it was like a scene from “Hansel and Gretel” by the Brothers Grimm. I got out of the car and called out; it was a few minutes before a man appeared.


My first impression (and this is why you should not make assumptions and I didn’t make many afterward), and it is human nature to make them, was this person doesn’t need what I’m selling – they need a whole new makeover and wardrobe. I introduced myself and he began to explain what he wanted.

All this time I had to keep a straight face. Because this is England and a stiff upper lip, it’s what’s expected. I had never seen anything like it; maybe in a poor country, you might experience the same. The farmer had more flies crawling on his face than flies on a dead carcass. And to top it off, he invited me into his home for a cup of tea. Well, you would never believe it; the kitchen was crawling with flies on everything that was visible, up and down, and in and out flies were everywhere.


The next thing the farmer’s wife appeared and yes she was crawling with flies as well. I just thought the whole experience was a setup, the whole place stank of crap, but the weirdest thing throughout my conversation with this couple was they never once made any attempt with their hands to shoo the flies away from their faces. Literally, I don’t know about you, but when just one fly lands on me I'm like a raving Looney. 


Anyhow, a lot more happened, but I haven't got time to write it just now. OBTW I closed and made a sale.

There’s an old saying, “Never judge a book by its cover” Bravo two nine, this is bluebird calling, over…

Hey, don’t bin this, recycle it. Don’t make assumptions, just forget them.

P.S. I have to get back to work. I’m trying to write a novel.

Are you listening,  what are you dreaming?

In my book “It’s Never Too Late” read how dreams do come true, but be careful what you wish for. Understand the secret of greed and you will attain one of the secrets of prosperity. The book will also take you on a journey and explores love, money, luck, and much more.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Hey, Chuck. Did you bring any spending money? Viva la vida loca.


Conducting a Survey into Precognitive Choices

Which would you prefer half-price digital or paperback?

 Read my book "It's Never Too Late" by Anthony Fox,  published by Chipmunka Publishing

1 comment:

  1. All knowledge is a path called the way - find the keys and every door will open for you - critical thinking is one key... .

    ReplyDelete